Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year- New Projects

In the middle of all my real life obligations, I discovered that I do little for myself. I think this must be a reoccurring discovery, but hey, eventually it will stick.

To start the year off self-focused, I'm enrolled as a student in the Ravelry group Harry Potter Knit Crochet House Cup- HPKCHC, or just House Cup.

The term started January 1, 2009, and I've already signed up for Charms, Arithmacy, and an O.W.L.::Charms. I have ideas for Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Care of Magical Creatures. And Herbology is already underway. Except for the History of Magic class, I've got ideas for them all. I think that is a bit of overcommitment. You see, the House Cup isn't a normal school type of environment. The assignments are all yarn related. And although most classes,
O.W.L.s excluded, don't require large projects you only have the month to get your assignment made, photographed, & turned in.

So, in addition to the 2 classes & O.W.L. I've committed to, I'm also one of the school reporters. This is to help document the happenings of the group, and to add information to our blog. I spent almost 4 hours making a mock up of the Daily Profit called House Cup Press. The first issue was added to the blog yesterday, and lots of the other 140 students have requested the pdf. That made me feel good, but there wasn't any "real" info in it-- just house lists, and who the teachers will be-- stuff from the boards. But I thought it would be a fun way to start the term.

I'll be making some regular post to the blog before I do another HCPress, as I think I can gradually add to a document and compile a news sheet from that later on. I guess I can highlight house participation and people who have already completed assignments. There is supposed to be another School Reporter, (maybe 2) but I haven't heard from them to make out a plan.

So-- about my NEW current projects:
UFO Fridays-- on Fridays, I've committed to working on my Red & Purple & Orange Afghan, and I think I'm 1/2 way done now!!!!
Arithmacy: Christmas Stocking for ME
Charms: Something for ME-- I think a little stuffed Owl for my collection. Haven't started it.
OWLs ::Charms A Tunisian Blanket for Mom-- I've had the yarn a while-- this must be done with in 3 months. (This will earn Hufflepuff, my house, 200 points!)

I could keep listing things I'm working on-- but really, do I want to admit I'm in the middle of 11 different afghans? I don't think so. And the mittens? 3 different ones? (If I could figure out the thumb part I'd be good to go.) The All Shawl that has been waiting for a few rows of edging? All the little half finished dishcloths? Oh well, At least I have a reward for doing the Cup projects. Even if points are meaningless outside of that group. I think they are a bit more meaningful than the 500 points you'd earn for timing the jump to the flagpole just right at the end of Super Mario Bros.

Okay-- back to house work for me today!

2 comments:

dinah34 said...

sounds busy and fun!

Anonymous said...

lol! I have deemed to craft this year for Christmas presents. I put my list on a Calendar. But have a feeling that I could be in queue like you with 11 different projects at one time! :)